Saturday, June 27, 2009

Second Saturday

Sacramento is a mysterious city full of culture and well kept secrets. It is also some sort of a cultural mine. It may not be as beautiful as other cities on the outside, but when looking in the right places diamonds can be found. One of those diamonds is the Second Saturday Art Walk or festival. Like its name, it takes place on the second Saturday of each month at nighttime from like 6pm to 10pm. During the art walk there are many vendors and art galleries that are open to the public for free, as well as live music, local artists, free food and many unusual sights. There are tons of people from all kinds of backgrounds that go out and walk around midtown to enjoy the atmosphere.

I have been lucky enough to attend Second Saturday twice, once in January and then in June, and both times have been very fun. The first I went it was in the middle of the winter so it was cold thus not too many people were out. However, the second time I went it was right in the beginning of the summer and there were people everywhere. It gave me a Vegas like feeling, but without the casinos of course. As I mentally prepared myself to go to midtown for second Saturday I was planning on just relaxing and chatting with some of my friends, but it turned out to be a little different. I did get to relax and chat with my friends, but there was something about the environment that gave us tons of energy and things to laugh about… Turns out that a camera and a live DJ brought out the B-Boys in us.




This”performance” was all unplanned. After we got out of some restaurant as we were walking there was a DJ booth with some fun music playing, so we started dancing. At first it was just four of us enjoying the music, then as we kept dancing a crowd started gathering and then it turned it this performance. Hahahah! That was so much fun…




There was also a mini carnival con Savor Sudamericano. Yummm!

As far as second Saturday goes it has to be one of the best things Sacramento has to offer. It is mos def something that I will be attending more often. The next Second Saturday will be on July 11 so mark your calendars.
More information about Second Saturday. http://2nd-sat.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment